Hatch green chili season is one of my favorite seasons. I’ve already told you about how much I love going to the grocery store and how I could spend hours walking down every isle and squeezing every avocado to make sure I have the perfect one.
Well, during hatch green chili season my love of going to the grocery store grows about ten times bigger. The reason for that is because outside of my favorite grocery store here in Arizona, they roast the hatch green chilies right in front of your eyes and, let me tell you, there is nothing like the smell or roasting chilies!
They have boxes upon boxes of green chilies and they have a huge grill that they roast them all on. Then, they have this contraption (I’m sure there is a perfectly appropriate name for it) where they put all the roasted chilies and spin it around until the charred skin falls right off along with some of the seeds. It is really fun to watch and I just can’t not leave the store without buying some.
I usually just chop them up and throw them in enchiladas or on top of nachos, but today I decided to go all out and make a Mexican pizza with them! If you’ve read my blog before you know that I am obsessed with Mexican food and you might know that my husband is pretty obsessed with pizza. I always like to say that taco pizza, or Mexican pizza, symbolizes our perfect compromise meal.
For this pizza, I am using a mixture of re-fried beans and roasted hatch green chilies as our sauce and I piled it up with all kinds of delicious taco ingredients and it was glorious! I’m now going to leave you with this delicious Mexican pizza recipe while I go back to bed. You would think it would be against the law the catch a cold in the summertime, but apparently that is what I have done. Hoping that the heat from this Mexican pizza can knock the cold right out of me!
- 1 serving of pizza dough or pre-made pizza crust
- 1 15 ounce can of re-fried beans, black or pinto
- 2 cups roasted hatch green chilies, chopped
- 1 - 3 teaspoons hatch green chili juice, depending on thick you want sauce to be
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- pinch of salt
- 2 - 3 cups of shredded cheese, non-dairy cheese if desired
- black olives
- red onion
- chopped scallion
- crumbled tortilla chips
- taco sauce
- Pre-heat oven to recommended temperature for the pizza dough that you are using. Pre-bake pizza dough until it is almost cooked through.
- In a food processor or blender, add re-fried beans, spices, green chilies, and a few teaspoons of green chili juice. Blend until everything is combined, about 30 seconds.
- Spread the bean and chili sauce over the pizza dough and top with grated cheese. Place back in the oven for 10 - 15 minutes, until pizza dough is cooked through and cheese is melted.
- Top with favorite Mexican pizza toppings and enjoy!
This is what both Cheeto and I look like after too much pizza