I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, cashews are the most magical things ever! You can use them to make savory salad dressings, sweet desserts and amazingly creamy alfredo sauce. I’m convinced that there isn’t anything you can’t make with cashews!
A great cashew tip I’ve just started doing is boiling them for about 30 minutes before I use them instead of soaking them overnight. It works really well to soften them up and I can now make cashew alfredo on a whim instead of having to plan for it the night before.
While creamy pasta dishes like this one scream comfort food, this dish is extra comforting to me because it was inspired by one of my favorite childhood foods, Annie’s Alfredo Shells and Cheese. Mac and Cheese is good and all, but Alfredo sauce has so much more flavor and in my opinion it just blows regular mac and cheese away. Although, I have never been known to say no to creamy pasta
Cashews are naturally slightly sweet, so when making a savory sauce out of them it is important to use un-sweetened milk and season it up with a bunch of savory spices. The real hero flavors in this cashew alfredo are the basil and the Herbs De Provence. Herbs De Provence is a mixture of dried thyme, marjoram, rosemary, basil, fennel, sage, and lavender. I bought it randomly a while ago because it was on sale and it is now my go-to spice that I put on just about everything!
If you have any doubts about the magical power of cashews I think this creamy alfredo sauce will change your mind!
- 8 ounces dry pasta, I used shells
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1½ cups raw unsalted cashews, soaked overnight or boiled for 30 minutes
- 1 cup + 3 tablespoons plain, un-sweetened almond milk
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons chopped basil
- 1 tablespoon chopped Italian parsley
- 3 teaspoons Herbs De Provence
- overflowing ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Cook the pasta according to package directions. When pasta is 3 minutes from being done, add the broccoli florets. Drain pasta and broccoli and add Alfredo sauce. Stir until combined and serve hot.
- To make the Cashew Alfredo Sauce, add all ingredients into a blender and blend for 1-2 minutes, until smooth and creamy.