4 Ingredient Zucchini Tater Tots

Print this pageShare on TumblrShare on RedditPin on PinterestShare on Google+Email this to someoneShare on FacebookShare on YummlyShare on StumbleUponTweet about this on Twitter

These delicious and healthy zucchini tater tots only require 4 ingredients and are so easy to make!

I think we all can agree that tater tots are the best use of potatoes in the world!  They are crispy, salty and if you make homemade tater tots you can put a bunch of awesome flavors into them.  My first experience with homemade tater tots was with these smoked gouda and green apple tater tots I  made last year.  They were some of the best tater tots I’ve ever eaten and much easier to make than I had expected.

I’ve seen tater tots made many times on the Food Network and a lot of times they add extra things like eggs and breadcrumbs, but I’ve found that those additions aren’t really necessary.  These zucchini tater tots only have 4 ingredients; potatoes, zucchini, salt and olive oil.  And really, if you only count the ingredients that you probably don’t already have in your kitchen, there is just 2 ingredients!

4 Ingredient Zucchini Tater Tots Step 1

In one of my last posts, I talked about how terrible of a gardener I am (I blame the desert for that though!) so I’m definitely not growing my own zucchini here in Arizona.  But, I know there are a lot of you out there that probably have an abundance of summer zucchini that you need to use up and these tater tots are the perfect way to do that!

4 Ingredient Zucchini Tater Tots Step 2

Tater tots always remind me of being a kid and eating in the lunchroom at school.  I feel like they rarely served us french fries, just tater tots.  I think it must be because tater tots are just more fun to say and even more fun to eat.  And you don’t have to feel guilty about eating these zucchini tater tots!  Not only are they filled with zucchini but they are baked instead of fried so you can eat as many as you want :)

4 Ingredient Zucchini Tater Tots-3629

4.1 from 20 reviews
4 Ingredient Zucchini Tater Tots
Prep time
Cook time
Total time
Recipe type: Side, Gluten Free, Vegan
Serves: 40
  • 3 large russet potatoes, peeled
  • 2 zucchinis, about 2-3 cups shredded
  • 1½ teaspoons salt, plus more for sprinkling on top
  • Olive oil
  1. Place potatoes in a large pot and cover with cold water. Bring water to a boil and cook potatoes for 20-30 minutes, until fork tender but still have some give in the middle. Drain water and let potatoes cool until they are comfortable to handle. You want them to still be warm.
  2. Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Grate potatoes on the large side of a box grater and put into a large bowl. Grate each zucchini and squeeze out the liquid using a clean dishtowel. Place grated zucchini into the bowl with the potatoes and add 1½ teaspoons salt. Use your hands to mix everything together.
  3. Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper. Use your hands to form small cylinders with the mixture. Use about 1 tablespoon per tater tot. Place the cookie sheet in the freezer for about 10 minutes to allow them to firm up.
  4. Brush the top of each tater tot with a small amount of olive oil and sprinkle each one with salt. Bake tater tots until browned a crispy, about 30 minutes flipping halfway though. Serve with ketchup if desired.
Recipe makes approximately 40 tater tots.

4-Ingredient Zucchini Tater Tots!  These baked tater tots are crispy, delicious and so easy to make!4-Ingredient Zucchini Tater Tots!  These baked tater tots are crispy, delicious and so easy to make!

• She Likes Food says

Thank you so much, Gayle! I hadn’t eaten them in a while but now I want to make them every week! I think you would love these, Gayle :)

• She Likes Food says

Thanks Sarah! You totally need to give them a try! They are so easy to make and are much better than the frozen ones :)

1. says

Okay – so perhaps you could start a cactus garden and grow prickly pear and lots of jalapeños? I’ve got to make these, Izzy! I am one with lots of zucchini comin in from my CSA – as well as potatoes! It’s perfect! I can see why they would hold up well due to the starch from the potatoes and moisture from the zucchini. These look delicious! Can’t wait to give em a go!

• She Likes Food says

My husband is obsessed with growing cactus! Our yard is filled, haha! These tots would be the perfect way to enjoy your zucchini, Traci!

• She Likes Food says

You will need to make a quadruple batch for your whole family! Or just hide in the closet and eat them all, haha! Thanks so much, Sarah :)

• She Likes Food says

Hi Anita, I haven’t ever made sweet potato tots before so I can’t say for sure if it would work without tweaking anything, but you could definitely try it! Regular potatoes are a little more starchy which helps the tots stay together, so if they don’t seem to be staying together you could always add an egg or some melted cheese if you eat those things. :)

• She Likes Food says

Warning: they are not hard to polish off at all, haha! I ate them all myself :) I think your kids would love these too!

2. says

How CUTE are these tots?! It’s been forever since I’ve had a tater tot and I can really get on board with this zucchini version. 4 ingredients? Woman after my own heart :)

3. says

These look delicious Izzy!…and so healthy! Potatoes are one of my favorite foods, so I’ll have to give these a try (and I’m sure my daughters would love them, especially with ketchup, lol). :-)

• She Likes Food says

Thanks Lauren! Potatoes are one of my favorite foods too! I could eat them everyday! I think you girls would love them :)

4. says

Tator tots are definitely a good use for potatoes! I love that you added zucchini in these too, that means you can eat more 😉 These really look fantastic, Izzy!

• She Likes Food says

They so are, Danielle! You really can eat more, at least that is what I told myself as I shoveled them all in my mouth, haha :)

• She Likes Food says

Thanks Melissa! You totally should! I just finished the leftovers off tonight and I already want to make more :)

5. Laura says

Wow, these look amazing!!! Only one question for you. About how much zucchini do you think this takes in like a cup sized measurement? I ask because my zucchinis are ginormous! ha ha ha I didn’t realize that they were behind the leaves and they didn’t get picked til they were like 18 inches long and 4 inches wide. So I obviously don’t want to use 2 of those. When you grate it down how many cups equals your 2 zucchinis?

• She Likes Food says

haha, good question Laura! I will add that to the recipe! I would say about 2-3 cups of shredded zucchini would be good. That is awesome that you grew such huge ones! :)

6. Nathan says

25 year old guy who now must fend for himself in graduate school… (p.s. thanks to all the moms who make great food for their kids but do not get thanked for it.)

I made these and they turned out okay. I’ll likely make again, but it is won’t be a staple.
    I suggest using some sort of non-stick pan or spray.
    They taste great only thing is, obviously, this is a recipe that has very little protein in it.
    With limited cooking skill it took about 2 hours to make.

• She Likes Food says

Hi Nathan, did you use parchment paper when baking them? That should solve any tray sticking issues if you had them! Yes, not a lot of protein in the tater tots, but I’m not sure I would recommend making a meal out of just them, haha :) They would go great as a side dish to a protein filled entree though.

• Nathan says

I used wax paper. (I’m kind of new to cooking so I’m not sure if that is the same thing as parchment paper?)
        I had the tots with eggs and sausage, which made for a tasty toast replacement.

• She Likes Food says

Parchment paper is similar to wax paper but meant for the oven. It is great for baking things that you don’t want to stick to the pan! Wax paper isn’t meant to go in the oven, but I guess it is ok as long as it didn’t melt!

Ohhh, tater tots and eggs and sausage sound perfect together :)

7. Altay says

OMG! these look great! I might suggest a yogurt and dill dipping sauce instead for Mediterranean flare! thanks for the great and simple idea.

8. Siobhan says

Hi they look yummy, just wondering do you know if they freeze well? I have a lot of zucchini/courgettes (that’s what we call them here in Ireland).
    Many thanks Siobhan.

• She Likes Food says

Hi Siobhan! I haven’t frozen them myself yet, mainly because I can’t keep myself from eating them, haha! But, I think they would freeze very well! Just freeze them before baking them and then throw them in the oven. They might need a little more time in the oven, but I think they would be good!

9. says

Hmmm… I love these! I will definitely give it a try today, I’m specially happy to see a recipe that doesn’t require flour to keep the mass glued together. Reminds me of gnocchi..

• She Likes Food says

Thank you! I was excited to make a tater tot that didn’t have flour or eggs in it too! I’m so glad you like them :)

• She Likes Food says

Hi Kathy! Haha, I am glad my site is back up too! That was a pretty exciting night! Thank you so so much for sharing them! That is by far the most page views I have ever gotten in one day :)

10. Julie says

These look amazing. I was wondering if you could roll the ingredients into a rope, like gnocchi, then cut into tots?

• She Likes Food says

Thanks Julie! I haven’t tried that myself, but it might work! I don’t think they would stay together as well as gnocchi does though, so it might be easier to form them with your hands, it doesn’t take too long!

11. Brenda Knott says

Wow, those look awesome! I think I’m going to try making them with an infused olive oil! Rosemary comes to mind, but I only have garlic, mushroom & sage & basil…. Hmmmm, I think any of those would be good! Also they sound perfect for my daughter, who prefers to eat healthy, but has anxiety about eating at school. She told me last night that it might be easier if she had small pieces (like blueberries, raspberries,etc). Now I can try your recipe with all sorts of veggies & flavors!!!!!! I’m so excited, THANK YOU!!! 💖💖💖

• She Likes Food says

Hi Brenda! Making them with infused oil sounds like the best idea ever!! Rosemary would be so good! I hope your daughter loves them :) Thanks so much for your comment!

12. says

haha yeah we tried to grow zucchini one year and it was a hugeee bust! But that’s okay, I just buy crazy amounts at the store instead!

These tots sound awesome! Love how few ingredients there are!

13. judy says

I have just made the tatatots and they are not looking like yours. They are too wet and not set, what have I done wrong

• She Likes Food says

Hi Judy, I’m so sorry they didn’t quite turn out. Did you make sure to squeeze all of the water out of the grated zucchini before adding it to the potatoes? Did you change anything or did you go off my directions exactly?

14. Leigh says

There are so amazing and just what I needed to use all of the zucchini my co-workers have given me.

And yes, they freeze well. We had to bake them for 30 minutes and I recommend that you not flip them for at least 15 minutes, because when I tried initially, they were sticking to the parchment paper.

I did all the prep work yesterday during my lazy Sunday and froze them overnight on a cookie sheet covered with wax paper. We had dinner figured out last night, and needed something quick for tonight, so freezing them worked out perfectly for us. I ended up with over 50 tots, so it’s great that we could bake just enough for tonight and will still have more tots to enjoy them sometime later.

Thank you Izzy! We are so proud of all the work that you have done with this blog and we are even happier that you are sharing your amazing recipes with us.

• She Likes Food says

Leigh!! This comment makes me so happy! I’m so glad you guys made them and that you loved them!! And good to know that they freeze well, although I always eat them up so fast, haha! It really means so much to me that you read along with the blog and actually make some of the recipes! That is awesome! If you and Adam come visit this winter I will cook for you!! :) I hope you guys are doing well!

15. Natalia says

I have just found this recipe this morning and I’m now preparing some for lunch!
    I have never heard of tater tots before (I’m from Spain) but I have no doubt we’re gonna love them. We really like zucchini, so, this is a good and different way to eat.
    Thanks for the idea!!!!!

• She Likes Food says

Hi Natalia! Now that you have been introduced to tater tots I think you will want to eat them all the time! They are the best! I hope you enjoy them :)

16. Brian says

I take it, this isn’t a high altitude recipe? Potatoes boil a lot differently at 5,000 feet than they do at 500 and they also bake differently :( We enjoyed our Failure Tot Mash Piles though… maybe cut back on the salt a bit?

• She Likes Food says

Hi Brian, yeah, I live in the desert so it definitely isn’t high altitude here! If you are familiar with boiling times and oven temps at your altitude then I would just alter them to fit your needs :)

17. michelle d says

These were delicious. My teenage daughter and I loved them. I wasn’t concerned about keeping them vegan so I added just a bit of butter and sour cream. I was also too hungry to let them rest in the freezer, tossed them straight into the oven. :)

• She Likes Food says

Hi Michelle! I’m so glad you guys liked them! The last time I made them I didn’t let them rest either because I was in such a hurry to eat them, haha!

18. lolly says

Are the potatoes supposed to be firm or tender in the center? “Bring water to a boil and cook potatoes for 20-30 minutes, until fork tender but still have some give in the middle.” “Some give” means they DO yield to pressure but it seems like you are saying they should NOT yield to pressure. Don’t want to over or undercook them.

• She Likes Food says

Hi Lolly, Sorry for the confusion! You don’t want them to be mashed potato soft, you want to be able to stick a fork into the outside, while the center is still pretty firm. You want them to be mostly cooked through, but still firm enough to hold in your hand and grate them. Does that make sense? They will cook for about 30 minutes in the oven so you don’t really have to worry too much about them being undercooked.

19. Melissa says

I just stumbled on this recipe and your blog. I LOVED THESE TOTS! I made them last night and they were perfect! I hate eggs and feel that most recipes with them, they overtake everything. So this was perfect! The only adjustment I made (out of laziness) was I used a food processor instead of hand grating. Worked PERFECTLY! I just pulsed until the zucchini (and then potatoes when they were done cooking) were small uniform chunks similar to the potatoes in actual tots. So easy! I also used garlic salt in place of salt to add a little something.

I definitely recommend these! I know I will be making them again!

• She Likes Food says

Hi Melissa!! Yah! I’m so glad you loved them! That is a great idea to grate the potatoes in the food processor because I almost burned my hand trying to grate them when they were still hot, haha! And i bet adding garlic salt makes them taste even better! Thank you so much for your lovely comment and feedback :)

20. Alison says

Has anyone tried freezing these in bulk for cooking at a later time? I have a LOT of potatoes and zucchini this year and my girls love tater tots! It would be fantastic to do up an army’s worth and freeze them!

• She Likes Food says

Hi Alison, I haven’t frozen them myself, but one of the commenters a few weeks ago said that she froze a bunch and cooked them a few days later and it worked great!

21. Caryn says

hi there, was wondering if you could tell me in weight how much potato? I need to sub the potatoes and the ones I’ve got are on the small side.

• She Likes Food says

Hi Caryn, with these tater tots I don’t think the measurements are super important as long as the ratio of zucchini to potato is about 1 to 3. I don’t think I weighed the potatoes before I bought them, but I would guess 1 1/2 – 2 pounds of potatoes. The zucchini measurements are before squeezing. I hope they work out for you!

22. Brenda says

I planned to cook these tonight. I boiled my potatoes last night, but I over boiled them. They are too mushy and soft. Is this still okay to form the tot with the zucchini? :( and if not then any other suggestions to use my potatoes?

• She Likes Food says

Hi Brenda! Do you mean just using the zucchini by themselves? I don’t think they would stick together if you only used zucchini, but you could try mashing the potatoes and trying to form them into tots once they have cooled!

• She Likes Food says

Hi Kelly, I don’t think they would taste bad at all, but sweet potatoes aren’t as strachy as regular potatoes so I don’t think they would hold together without adding an egg and possibly some bread crumbs. But you could try it out!

23. monika says

This recipe looks great, and I’m going to try it. A quick question for you, though. Have you ever tried making the tots with cauliflower instead of potatoes? Do you think I could substitute the cauliflower for the potatoes and make cauli-zucchini tots? Would they stick together or would I need to add an egg or something else to have them stick? Thanks!!

• She Likes Food says

Hi Monika! I haven’t tried substituting cauliflower for the potatoes myself, but I’m guessing that you would definitely have to add an egg in there to get it all to stick together. I’m sure it would taste really good though!

24. Andrea says

I made these tonight and measured 3 cups shredded zucchini, squeezed out the water, etc. Used 3 large potatoes, but it was really mushy. It was hard to form together and after baking 15 minutes, they stuck to the parchment paper and were mostly mushy still. Not sure what to do different? Maybe because the measurements aren’t exact and likely different from what you actually used? I had such high hopes for this recipe, the photo looks amazing!

• She Likes Food says

Hi Andrea, I’m sorry they didn’t turn out for you. Were the potatoes still a little warm when you formed them into tater tots? I find that it helps them stick together better if they are warm. I’ve made them a few times and the mixture definitely wasn’t mushy. I would be happy to talk over e-mail if you want to troubleshoot this some more.

25. Brooke says

Made these today- these looked amazing, but I am sad to say I was extremely disappointed. As other reviewers mentioned, they never held their form and remained as mushy balls of zucchini and potato- with good flavor, at least! But they just made piles of mush, and I cooked them FOREVER and still nothing happened.

• She Likes Food says

Hi Brooke, I’m so sorry they didn’t work out for you. Where the potatoes still warm when you grated them and formed them into tater tots? I’ve only made them when the potatoes were still warm and they’ve always stayed together really well. I’d be more than happy to help you troubleshoot it over e-mail if you would like!

26. Stacy Davis says

I am always looking for Vegan recipes for my teenage daughter and this was a hit. I baked them and couldn’t get them to crisp up as much as I would like (texture issues for her :P) so I finished them in a pan with a little olive oil. Very good!

• She Likes Food says

I’ve re-heated mine in a pan a few times and they were so good that way! I’m so glad you and your daughter enjoyed them! :)

27. Dina says

Well made these for the Super Bowl and they were a total disaster. What a great idea, but no. I failed. I followed directions exactly. I think you need to add a little olive oil to the mix before shaping them. They all stuck to the parchment paper and did not take to “flipping” after 15 minutes. Piles of mush. I had to salvage them and fry them in a pan to make them edible. Bummer, such a cute idea!

Hi Dina,

I’m so sorry to hear they didn’t turn out. I’ve made them a few times and have never had to add olive oil to the mixture before shaping them. Did you make sure to cook them until the center was just fork tender so they didn’t get too mushy?

• She Likes Food says

Hi Amy, I think that would work fine as long as it doesn’t make them too mushy and still holds up the grated texture!

28. Stacy says

I was wondering if anyone had issues with gas from these. They turned out great and our whole family gobbled them up because they were so yummy, but today we are all very gassy. I don’t know if I didn’t cook the zucchini long enough or it’s something else.

• She Likes Food says

Hi Stacy, I’m sorry that you are your family felt that way afterward but I’m glad that you guys enjoyed them! I’ve never ran into that issue after eating these, but you never know. Was there anything else you had for dinner that could have caused it?

• She Likes Food says

Hi Kristina, Sorry for the late reply. Unfortunately, I don’t think they will work with the uncooked potato. The main thing that allows them to stick together and form in to tater tots is that the cooked grated potato is kinda sticky.

• She Likes Food says

I haven’t tried it myself, but I think it would work great as long as you steamed the broccoli a bit first :)

• She Likes Food says

Hi Laurie, Unfortunately I haven’t had the time to calculate the nutritional information for this recipe yet, but there are a few website that will do it for you if you put in all the ingredients. I hope that helps!

29. Christine says

Nice recipe! You’re giving Arizona a bad vibe. I live in AZ too and you can grow an abundance of zucchini among other things. Check with the cooperative extension program. Raised beds would allow you to easily grow some pesticide free deliciousness for your family :) I do not have a green thumb, but armed with healthy concerns for my family and the internet I am invincible!

Hi Christine,

I was mostly just kidding when I said I blamed the desert :) I go to the farmer’s market a lot so I do know that there is a ton that can be grown here, I’m just haven’t had much luck myself!

Glad you like the recipe :)

30. Katrina says

Oh no, it was a fail recipe. I tried to save it by reading your comments but was dissapointed because others too tried and didn’t manage even if they did everything right. :(( it was looking tasty in the pics, though. Now I have to cook quick smth else.

• She Likes Food says

Hi Katrina, I’m so sorry the recipe didn’t work out for you. It’s so hard to say what went wrong when someone has an issue because I’m not right there with you in the kitchen. I’ve made this recipe many times though and it has always worked out perfectly and many others have told me the same. I’m sorry it didn’t work out!

31. says

This recipe caught my eye in your blog’s sidebar – I love the idea of zucchini tater tots! Zucchini is one of my favorite veggies, and I pretty much always have a few in my fridge because I find them to be so versatile. I throw zucchini into so many dinners for an easy veggie boost. I’ll definitely be trying this recipe out soon!

• She Likes Food says

It’s one of my favorite veggies too! You will definitely love these tater tots if you are a zucchini fan!

32. Jeremy says

Tasted fine but what a pain. 4 ingredients, yes but balling them up is a huge pain. They also need something to bind them. They just fall apart when I flip them. I also tried deed frying them, which I do not recommend. The just melted into one big blob.

• She Likes Food says

Hi Jeremy, sorry you found this recipe a pain but sometimes homemade from scratch recipes take much more time than buying frozen things and heating them up. I’ve made them a few times and have never had an issue with them falling apart, I’m sorry yours did not.

33. Bella says

could you please improve the print version of your recipes?
    If I wanna print them, the whole 51 pages (!) are printed.
    Thank you!

• She Likes Food says

Hi Shena, I don’t think these would work as well with frozen potatoes because they don’t have as much starch to hold them together as regular potatoes.

34. Emily says

I made these paired with black bean beet burgers from Minimalist Baker for an all-around YUM dinner. I accidentally over boiled the potatoes but they came out just as tasty. It took longer for them to cook than you had recommended but I had time, so it was fine. I also found that some of them spread out a little more and didn’t totally hold their shape, but I bet that was the over-done potatoes’ fault. Thank you so much for this recipe! I will definitely be making them again. :)

• She Likes Food says

Hi Emily! I’m so glad you enjoyed these even with everything not going perfectly! Those black bean beet burgers sound delicious as well :)

35. Savannah says

I made these tonight and they were great! I was short on zucchini so I added in a squash and it worked perfectly. I made these because I am on whole 30 but my children, 3 aged 5 and under age more than me. Great way to sneak in veggies. Oh and yours were a lot prettier than mine!

• She Likes Food says

I’m so glad to hear you liked them, Savannah! That is a great idea to add the squash, I should throw some in next time I make them :)

1. […] 4. Zucchini Tater Tots The addition of shredded zucchini in this recipe beefs up the fiber and nutritional benefits. With just four simple ingredients, you can easily prep these gluten-free, oven-baked tots ahead of time. Bonus: They cook in just 30 minutes! Did we mention these zucchini tots are an excellent green salad topping in lieu of croutons? Photo and recipe: Isadora / She Likes Food […]

2. […] 4. Zucchini Tater Tots The further of shredded zucchini in this recipe beefs adult a fiber and nutritive benefits. With usually 4 elementary ingredients, we can simply prep these gluten-free, oven-baked tots forward of time. Bonus: They prepare in usually 30 minutes! Did we discuss these zucchini tots are an glorious immature salad commanding in lieu of croutons? Photo and recipe: Isadora / She Likes Food […]