Awhile ago some of my blogger friends talked about starting a 30-Minute Thursday series. While I really liked the idea, I started to panic a little bit because I realized that a lot of my entree recipes aren’t necessarily 30-Minute friendly. I love making veggie burgers that require roasted vegetables and cooked brown rice and these zucchini tater tots are my new favorite things.
Unfortunately, neither of those recipes come together in 30 minutes though. So, I thought it would be great to test myself a bit and make myself come up with some 30-minute dinners. Make sure to check out all the other 30 minute meals (links at the bottom of this page) that my friends put together! There are some good ones Also, make sure to check back on the first Thursday of each month for more 30-minute meals!
For my first contribution I decided to go with Mexican, because Mexican food is the best food ever! And, it is usually pretty quick to make. I’ll try not to make all my 30-minute meals Mexican food, but I can’t make any promises! Growing up, nachos were one of my favorite foods. I like to think of tostadas as grown up nachos that I don’t have to share. They are crispy on the bottom and topped with re-fried beans, cheese.
I’m not ready to let go of summer just yet, so I topped these tostadas with zucchini, red pepper and corn. These tostadas are a delicious way to get your Mexican food fix while also using that last bit of summer produce you have been holding onto. All in under 30 minutes!
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ½ cup chopped red onion
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 medium zucchini, diced (about 2 cups)
- 1 medium red pepper, diced (about 1 heaping cup)
- 1 cup corn kernels
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- 8 tostadas*
- 1 (15 ounce) cans re-fried beans
- 1½ cup shredded cheese
- Recommended optional toppings: guacamole, slasa, cilantro
- Heat a large pan over medium heat and add the olive oil, onions and a pinch of salt. Cook onions for 3 minutes and then add the garlic, zucchini, red pepper, corn, cumin, paprika, salt and pepper. Cook vegetables for about 8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until tender.
- Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees fierenheit. Spread each tostada with ¼ cup re-fried beans and top with ⅓ cup vegetable mixture and 1-2 tablespoons grated cheese. Bake tostadas for about 5 minutes until beans are heated through and cheese is melted.
- Top with optional desired toppings just before serving. Recipe makes approximately 8-10 tostadas depending on how much beans and vegetables you put on each one.