I know that I post way more Mexican recipes on here than pizza recipes, but pizza is definitely eaten on a regular basis in this house. If my husband had his way we would be eating pizza every single night. And, now that I think about it, I’m not sure I would mind that much either! There is such thing as taco pizza afterall!
I used to be a traditional red sauce, cheese and veggie pizza kinda girl but after having BBQ pizza, it is all I ever want to eat. And although I said that the smoked gouda cheese is optional in the recipe, who are we kidding?! Smoked gouda is a must when making a BBQ pizza. It gives the pizza such a great flavor and compliments the BBQ sauce perfectly.
Spaghetti squash has to be my favorite winter squash! It is so versatile and I feel like I can use it in everything. I’ve roasted it and eaten it with veggie meatballs, I’ve put it on toast and melted cheese over it, I’ve added it to my eggs in purgatory and eaten it for breakfast, and next week I’m going to be sharing my favorite spaghetti squash chili recipe with you. Basically, I just can’t get enough and this BBQ Spaghetti Squash Pizza has been a regular lately and I’m pretty sure I’m going to be enjoying it all winter long
- 1 ball of pizza dough or pre-made pizza crust, gluten free if necessary (see link above for my favorite gluten free pizza crust recipe!)
- 1 small spaghetti squash
- ½ teaspoon olive oil
- Black pepper
- ¾ cup BBQ sauce
- 1 cup shredded cheese, I used a mix of white cheddar and smoked gouda
- Small handful thinly sliced red onions
- Fresh cilantro leaves for topping
- Cut the top off of the spaghetti squash, cut in half, lengthwise, and scoop out the seeds. Scrape the meat out of the squash with a metal spoon. It will come out in small pieces and you should get about 1½ - 2 cups. Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add olive oil, spaghetti squash and a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook spaghetti squash until tender and cooked through, 10 minutes.
- Pre-heat oven to required pizza dough temperature. Pre-cook pizza dough if necessary. Spread the BBQ sauce on the pizza crust in an even layer and sprinkle on a small handful of cheese. Next, top with spaghetti squash, the remaining cheese and the red onion. Bake pizza until crust is cooked through and cheese is melted. Top with fresh cilantro leaves just before serving