It’s November! I hope you don’t hate me for saying this, but I’m so glad Halloween is over. I feel like I know so many people whose favorite holiday is Halloween, but I am just not one of them. I loved it has a kid, thought it was ok in college, but now I’m just kinda over it. I’m guessing that I’ll get back into it one day when we have kids, but right now I’m just not into it, sorry!
Last night, my husband and I watched movies in the dark because we didn’t want anyone thinking we were home and trying to get candy. I kinda felt like a cranky old person, but the truth was that neither of us wanted to buy a bunch of candy that we would probably eat half of before the kids even started coming and Cheeto freaks out every time the doorbell rings. So, instead, we opted for a calm, candy free night and it was actually pretty nice!
I may not be into Halloween but I am most definitely into all things pumpkin! And these delicious baked gluten free pumpkin orange glazed doughnuts are no exception! I’ve made these doughnuts about ten times now and each batch only lasts for about 2 days. Fried glazed doughnuts used to be a big guilty pleasure of mine but since I started eating a little healthier and went gluten free, I still need my doughnut fix!
I have a favorite cookie this time of year that I’ve been making since high school that is soft, fluffy and filled with delicious pumpkin and orange flavors. I decided to put those same flavors into these doughnuts and they might just be my new favorite. And since doughnuts are technically a breakfast food, I think it is safe to say that you can enjoy these all day long
- 2 cups gluten free 1:1 baking flour (I use Bob's Red Mill)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅔ cup pumpkin puree
- ⅔ cup plus 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup plain, unsweetened almond milk
- 4 tablespoons melted butter, cooled (I used non-dairy Earth Balance)
- 1 teaspoon orange juice
- ½ teaspoon orange zest
- 2 cups confectioners sugar, sifted
- 3 tablespoons plain, unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a doughnut pan and set aside. In a medium sized bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, salt and spices. In a large bowl, beat together the pumpkin brown sugar and eggs. Next add the almond milk, cooled melted butter, orange juice and orange zest and mix again until combined.
- You can either spoon the batter into the doughnut pan or you can place the batter into a pastry bag fitted with a large tip and pipe the batter in. Make sure batter isn't overflowing. Bake doughnuts until a toothpick inserted comes out clean, about 12 minutes. Carefully remove doughnuts from the pan and let cool on a rack. Re-peat process with remaining batter. You should be able to get 12 doughnuts from this recipe.
- Make the glaze: Add all glaze ingredients to a small bowl and whisk together until you have a smooth glaze with no lumps. Spoon desired amount of glaze over each doughnut and enjoy!
Adapted from these Pumpkin Doughnuts with Maple Glaze from Live Well Bake Often