I’m back! I meant to just take a little break for Thanksgiving and then I guess that turned into the week after Thanksgiving too… Sorry about that! I think it was a combination of sickness, family visiting, and laziness. Probably mostly the laziness. But I’m back now and I think you will love this Curried Chickpea Salad Sandwich!
I first discovered the idea of smashed chickpea salad sandwiches not too long ago and I really couldn’t believe I had never made them before. They are ridiculously easy to make, take no time at all, and pretty much taste like chunky hummus smashed between two pieces of bread with lots of delicious flavors added. Are you sold yet?!
Curry powder has been one of my food obsessions for a while now (it is amazing in this curry cilantro hummus!). You just add a few pinches and it gives so much delicious, warm flavor to your dish. I always used to make curried turkey salad sandwiches around the holidays so I thought I would give my recipe a try with chickpeas instead of turkey and it is delicious! I also add some onions and celery for a little crunch and some dried cranberries and apple for some sweetness.
These Curried Chickpea Salad Sandwiches are so delicious and easy to make, they will soon become a lunch staple for you this season
- 2 (15-ounce) cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- ½ cup diced celery
- ½ cup diced apple, your favorite kind (about 1 small apple)
- ¼ cup chopped red onion
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- ¼ cup vegan mayo or regular mayo (or more or less depending on how much mayo you like)
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- Sandwich bread
- Spinach or lettuce if desired
- Add the chickpeas to a large bowl and mash with a potato masher. You can mash them as smooth or coarse as you desire. Add all of the remaining ingredients to the bowl and mix until everything is combined.
- Place desired amount of curried chickpea salad between two pieces of bread and enjoy! Add spinach or lettuce if desired. Recipes makes enough chickpea salad for 4-6 sandwiches, depending on how big you fill them.