Well, the holidays are officially over now. Part of me is a little sad because that means it is almost 365 days until I get to put the Christmas tree up again (and not be frowned upon ) But, the other part of me is a little relieved. It’s now 2016 and it’s all about healthy eating and taking care of yourself: two things I enjoy doing and always strive to better at.
And, I’ve got the perfect recipe to kick off 2016 with! So, if you’re one of those people who overindulge around the holidays and are looking for something a little bit healthier to start the New Year with, or if you are one of those people who is super disciplined and isn’t shaken at all by the huge tables of holiday goodies that seem to be everywhere (teach me your ways!) look no further, this Chopped Kale Power Salad is for you!
This kale salad checks off all my ‘perfect salad’ requirements. It is healthy, check! It is pretty to look at, check! It contains roasted sweet potatoes and avocados, check! It is dressed with a creamy tahini dressing, check! We went to quite a few holiday and New Year’s parties recently and this salad become my go-to potluck dish. It’s easy to throw together and is great for transporting. Although the holidays are now over I couldn’t help but share my favorite new salad recipe with you all! I’m certain you will find that it is a great addition to your lunch menu
Another thing I love to have in my salads is a crunchy element. While they do sell gluten free croutons these days, I think crunchy nuts are the perfect addition to a salad. Not only do they add a great unique flavor but they are also much more nutritious than croutons.
I hope you all had wonderful holidays and that your 2016 is off to a great start!
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and diced (you should get about 5-6 cups)
- 2 teaspoons + 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 3/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 bunch of curly kale, washed, stem removed and chopped (you should get 7-8 cups)
- Juice of 1/2 a large lemon
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 large avocado, pitted and diced
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup chopped almonds
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
Lemon Tahini Dressing:
- 1/2 cup tahini
- Juice of 1 large lemon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3-6 tablespoons warm water, depending on how thick you want the dressing
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. On a large sheet pan, toss together the diced sweet potato with 2 teaspoons olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper. Bake sweet potato until fork tender, 35-40 minutes, flipping once.
- Prepare the kale while the sweet potatoes are baking. Add the chopped kale to a large bowl with 1 tablespoon olive oil, juice of 1/2 a large lemon and a heaping 1/4 teaspoon salt. Use your hands to massage the kale and make sure everything is mixed together, about 1 minute. Set kale aside until sweet potatoes are finished baking.
- Make the dressing by adding all ingredients to a bowl and whisking until a creamy dressing is formed. Add the water slowly until desired consistency is reached.
- There are two ways you can assemble the salad: You can add all ingredients to the bowl with the kale and mix until combined. Add desired amount of dressing to each individual serving. Or, you can add the kale mixture to separate bowls and evenly top with remaining ingredients.
*If making a big batch for a party or for packed lunches it works best to mix all ingredients together in a large bowl. If having people over for lunch and serving them individually it might work better to evenly distribute the kale and then top with remaining ingredients.
*I would recommend always leaving the dressing separate and adding it on just before eating. This salad will keep well in the refrigerator for about 5 days.