You know it’s spring when baby birds are popping up everywhere, including on the back of your car. While you are driving down the street. Yes, I was driving down the street a few days ago and all of a sudden I look in my rear view mirror and there is a baby (not super small but still fluffy looking) sitting on the back of my car. I’m guessing it must have thought my trunk was a nice place to land and didn’t realize that it was moving!
I started to panic a little worrying that I was taking this bird farther and farther from its home so I turned around, all the while this little bird is staying put, and pulled into a parking lot. It stayed on there for a minute and then flew away, I’m hoping back to its nest! I couldn’t help but just sit there and laugh to myself about how absurd that was!
Besides baby birds, I also love the flowers that are popping up everywhere! And the delicious spring produce at the store. Strawberries are one of my favorite fruits because they are so sweet and delicious! Not to mention their bright red color. I love my sweet strawberry dishes, but decided to do something a little more savory with this dish. These tostadas are pretty simple and really easy to make, but the fresh strawberry salsa adds such great flavor! It’s also good if you just want to dip some chips in it
- Corn tortillas or pre-baked tostada shells
- 1 (15 ounce) can re-fried black beans
- 1-2 large avocados, cut in half, seed removed and sliced
- 2 cups chopped strawberries
- ⅔ cup chopped white onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- Chopped jalapeno, to taste
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- Salt, to taste
- If not using pre-baked tostadas: pre-heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Lay corn tortillas on a large baking sheet and bake for 7-10 minutes, flipping once, until crispy.
- Add all strawberry salsa ingredients to a medium sized bowl and mix until combined. Refrigerate until needed.
- Place the re-fried beans in a small saucepan and heat over medium heat until warmed (you may need to add a little water to the beans to thin them out a little bit., if desired)
- Assemble the tostadas by spreading a layer of black beans onto each tortilla and topping with avocado slices and strawberry salsa. You can sprinkle a little bit of salt on the avocado slices for a little extra flavor, if desired.