This post is sponsored by Udi’s Gluten Free. Thank you so much for supporting the brands that support me!
It’s been years since I’ve eaten at a taco bell, but I have to admit that it used to be one of my favorites. Not only because I’m obsessed with Mexican food, but also because they’ve always had a lot of vegetarian options,which was surprising for a fast food chain especially back in the day.
When I was in high school I probably ate at taco bell much more than I would like to admit! And the really funny thing was that the closest taco bell to my house was in the next town over located inside of the Walmart. So we would all go to Walmart just to eat at taco bell, it sounds sad but it was true. And I always ordered the 7 layer burrito. It was packed with rice, beans, cheese, guacamole, sour cream, lettuce and tomato and it was my favorite. Today I’m sharing my version of a vegetarian 7-layer burrito and I’ve changed a few things up. I’ve used quinoa instead of rice, black beans instead of re-fried beans and I’ve also added roasted sweet potatoes because these days it’s hard for me to eat anything that doesn’t include sweet potatoes!
While I’m known for loving my tacos, I also really love burritos. So, when I first started experimenting with gluten free eating I really, really missed eating burritos. Don’t get me wrong, tacos are delicious and I could eat them all day, but there is something so satisfying about wrapping up all your favorite ingredients into a huge tortilla and enjoying it all without toppings falling out the back. Which is why I was so excited when I discovered Udi’s gluten free tortillas! They are soft, heat up well and don’t fall apart when you try to fold them. They’re perfect for this 7-Layer Vegetarian Burrito as well as all of your other burrito needs!
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and diced (about 3-4 cups when diced)
- Olive oil
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- 1 cup chopped spinach, or lettuce
- 1/2 cup diced tomatoes
- 1 large avocado, either sliced or mashed
- 4 Udi’s Gluten Free Tortillas
- Additional toppings: salsa, cilantro, jalapeno, plain Greek yogurt
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Toss diced sweet potato with a small amount of olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast sweet potato until fork tender, flipping once. About 30 minutes.
- While sweet potato is roasting cook the quinoa. Rinse the quinoa and add it to a medium sized saucepan with 1 cup of water. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook quinoa for about 15-20 minutes, until water has cooked out and quinoa is tender.
- Place about 1/4 cup shredded cheese (more or less if you like) on each tortilla and place in the heated oven for 3-5 minutes, until cheese is melted.
- Assemble the burritos by topping them with equal amounts of the quinoa, sweet potatoes, black beans, spinach, avocado and diced tomato. You can use more or less of any of the ingredients that I’ve listed above. Top with any additional desired toppings and enjoy!
Learn more about living gluten free! Visit http://udisglutenfree.com/community
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Udi’s Gluten Free. The opinions and text are all mine.