This protein packed vegetarian pizza bake is perfect for a weeknight dinner or to use as the main dish for a vegetarian holiday feast!
Happy Thanksgiving week, friends! I feel like Thanksgiving is one of those holidays that is just so cozy. For us, it usually consists of eating too much while hanging out with wonderful friends. We usually do a very traditional Thanksgiving dinner in our house because my husband is pretty obsessed with all things Thanksgiving. But, if it were completely up to me, I would be 100% OK with going less traditional and having a delicious dinner like this Spaghetti Squash Pizza Bake with Quinoa and White Beans.
I get asked a lot about ideas for vegetarian and vegan holiday main dishes and I think this recipe would be perfect.
It might not be the most traditional holiday main course, but it’s packed with lots of protein, vegetables and deliciousness. All you need to do is add some salad and some bread and you’ve got yourself a pretty nice vegan holiday feast! Or you could always just make it for a nice dinner like I did!
- ½ cup dried quinoa
- 1 medium spaghetti squash
- 1 (15 ounce) can white beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ red onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried Italian Herbs
- 1 (24 ounce) jar tomato sauce
- Cook quinoa according to package directions. Cut spaghetti squash in half, scrape out the seeds and then use a metal spoon to scrape out the "meat" of the spaghetti squash. You should get about 3 cups.
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add olive oil and the onion. Cook onion for 2 minutes and then add the peppers, spaghetti squash, garlic and all the spices. Cook vegetable until tender, about 7 minutes.
- Next, add the quinoa, white beans and tomato sauce to the skillet and mix until combined.
- Place the skillet into the oven and bake for about 15 minutes. Let cool for a few minutes before serving and garnish with basil or parsley, if desired.