Did you all have a good holiday? Did you eat too much? Are you ready for a break from all the sweets? This year I couldn’t seem to get full no matter how much I ate. Not sure if it’s because I’m nursing my son, which supposedly burns lots of calories or because my stomach is a little bigger this year but either way, it felt nice not to be overly full!
In true American fashion, now that one holiday is over, I’m moving right along to the next holiday: New Years! Some of you may be wondering what this salad has to do with New Years, it would be the black eyed peas. I’ve always been a very superstitious person so I always eat my black eyed peas on New Years Day for some extra good luck! Please tell me I’m not the only person who does that?
I’ve decided to give you a black eyed pea dish with some Southwestern flare, because it’s my favorite kind of flare. I’m pretty sure this Southwestern Black Eyed Pea Salad is the most delicious way to get some good luck in the new year! You can eat it as a side dish or enjoy it on chips or crackers. Either way, it has tons of flavor and is filled with healthy vegetables!
I hope everyone has a wonderful new year and I will see you in 2017!Print
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- 1 medium red pepper, diced
- 1 medium green pepper, diced
- 1 large avocado, diced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Juice of 1/2 a large lime
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Add all ingredients to a large bowl and mix until combined. Serve by itself or with chips/crackers if desired.