This easy broccoli salad is a refreshing and healthy side dish for the summer!
This is one of my new favorite salads and I have my 9 month old to thank for it! I’ve been trying to transition Eli from purees to more solid foods and it’s been freaking me out. I can’t take all the gagging and coughing but I also don’t want to have to puree his food until he goes to college, so I’ve gotten over it
One of the first non-pureed meals I made him was chopped up broccoli, peas and chickpeas topped with some lemon juice, olive oil and dill.
He promptly threw it all over the floor and had more interest in eating the side of the table, but I had a few bites and thought it was amazing! The next day I made this more grown up version and have been making it ever since.
It only requires a few minutes of cooking and is so easy to make. It’s packed with vegetables and protein so it’s great for a healthy side dish or light lunch. And, the lemon and dill make this broccoli salad so refreshing that you’ll be eating it all summer long
If making vegan, just omit the feta or replace it with this delicious tofu feta!
- 6 cups small broccoli florets
- 3 cups peas, fresh or frozen
- 1 (15 oz) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- ¾ cup crumbled feta cheese
- 3 teaspoons chopped fresh dill
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- Juice of ½ lemon
- Olive oil
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add about 3 teaspoons olive oil and the broccoli. Cook broccoli for 5 minutes and then add the peas. Season with salt and pepper and cook for another 2-3 minutes, or until peas are thawed if they were frozen. Pour veggies into a big bowl and let cool for about 10 minutes.
- Once cooled add the remaining ingredients plus 1 teaspoon olive oil. Stir everything together and season with salt and pepper to taste. Can be served immediately or stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days, although broccoli and peas will lose their bright green color after a day or so.