Make these Enchilada Lunch Bowls on Sunday and you’ll have a delicious and healthy lunch all week!
I’m pretty sure that when you’re working, lunch is what you look forward to the most. At least, that is true for me. Not only does it mean the day is halfway through, but it also means I get to relax and chow down.
Back when I had lots of stomach problems, I usually wouldn’t feel very good in the morning so I would just throw something in my lunchbox figuring I probably wasn’t even going to eat it. And then when noon rolled around I was starving and cursing myself for only packing rice cakes!
When you’ve just rolled out of bed and haven’t even eaten breakfast yet, lunch can be hard to pack. For that reason, I’m getting really into make ahead lunches. You make them on Sunday, throw one in your bag each morning and when noon rolls around, you are one happy camper
A month or so ago I made these Make Ahead Sweet Potato Lunch bowls and now I’m really excited to share these Make Ahead Enchilada Lunch Bowls with you! I promise that I’ll come up with some non-Mexican ones, but today just isn’t that day.
When you’re ready to eat, all you have to do is pop them in the microwave or oven, throw some fresh toppings on (optional) and you’re ready to go! Just sit back and watch everyone be jealous of your lunch
You definitely don’t have to go out and buy 4 lunch bowl size pyrex dishes for these! If you don’t have them, you can easily bake this in an 8 inch baking dish and scoop it into 4 regular plastic lunch containers after it has cooled.Print
A delicious Mexican inspired make ahead lunch!
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 small zucchini, diced
- 1 small summer squash, diced
- 1/2 small onion, diced
- 1 cup corn kernels
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 6 corn tortillas, chopped up
- 1 (19 oz) can enchilada sauce
- 1 cup shredded cheese, I used non-dairy cheese in this recipe
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 375 F. Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add the olive oil and all the veggies. Cook veggies until softened, 5-7 minutes. Next, add the black beans and all he spices. Stir and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Assemble lunch bowls in a small (3-4 cup) oven safe pyrex dish*. For each bowl, add 2 tablespoons enchilada sauce to the bottom and then top with 1/2 cup veggie mixture, 1/4 cup chopped corn tortillas, 1-2 tablespoons cheese and then 2 more tablespoons enchilada sauce. Repeat once more ending with a layer of cheese on top. It’s easiest of you fill all the bowls at the same time.
- Place bowls on a large baking sheet and stick in the oven until cheese is melted and enchiladas are bubbly, about 20 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool before placing lids on top and refrigerating until needed.
- To re-heat: Microwave for about 2 minutes or bake at 375 for 20 minutes.
*If you don’t have 4 small oven safe dishes you can just use an 8 inch baking dish and and section it into 4 portions after cooking it. Just double the amounts of everything for each layer.
- Serving Size: 1 lunch bowl
- Calories: 701
- Sugar: 9 g
- Sodium: 1788 mg
- Fat: 11 g
- Saturated Fat: 2 g
- Carbohydrates: 131 g
- Fiber: 24 g
- Protein: 28 g