Bacon & Tomato Jam
- 1 pound bacon
- 1.5 pounds tomatoes, I used a mix of cherry tomatoes and roma tomatoes
- 1 yellow onion, small diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme leaves, dried
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons of reserved bacon grease
- olive oil
- Sourdough bread, or bread of your choice
- Sharp cheddar cheese
Bacon & Tomato Jam
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Dice the tomatoes into bite size pieces and place on a baking sheet. Drizzle with 1 teaspoon of olive oil and 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Mix to coat tomatoes.
- Place tomatoes in the oven for approximately 20 – 25 minutes, until tomatoes are soft and beginning to caramelize.
- Cook the bacon in a pan, until it is crispy. You may need to cook it in a few batches. Reserve 2 teaspoons of bacon grease.
- In a large pot, on medium heat, add the two teaspoons of bacon grease, the onion, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper, and the garlic. Cook for a few minutes until onion is translucent.
- Then add the tomatoes, balsamic vinegar, brown sugar, dijon mustard, thyme, paprika, red pepper flakes and stir.
- Crumble the bacon into small pieces and add it to the pot.
- Cook the tomato bacon mixture for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- If desired, using a food processor, blender, or immersion blender, blend the bacon tomato jam until it reaches your desired consistency.
Make the Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
- Heat a large pan over medium heat.
- Butter two slices of bread.
- Place each slice, butter side down, on a plate or cutting board and spread with about 2 tablespoons each of bacon jam.
- Top one side with cheese and avocado slices and then place the other side on top.
- Place into the heated pan, butter side down, and cook until each side is brown and toasted and cheese is melted, flipping grilled cheese half way through.
- Makes about 4 – 6 sandwiches, depending on how big your bread slices are. I would recommend getting a large chunk of cheese and two avocados.
- Calories: 3021
- Sugar: 99
- Sodium: 6008
- Fat: 130
- Saturated Fat: 43
- Unsaturated Fat: 75
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 352
- Protein: 131
- Cholesterol: 235