- 4 russet potatoes
- 3 green apples, peeled and grated
- 1 1/2 – 2 cups shredded smoked gouda cheese, depending on how cheesy you want them
- 1 teaspoon salt
- olive oil, coconut oil, or canola oil
- Place potatoes in a large pot and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil over medium heat and boil for 15-20 minutes, until you can stick a fork into the potato, but it is still firm in the middle. Let potatoes cool for a few minutes and then peel the skin off of them. Grate potatoes using a box grater and place in a large bowl.
- Heat a large pan over medium heat and saute the grated apples, with a very small amount of oil for about 3 minutes, until just beginning to soften.
- Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees F. Add the green apple to the potatoes and then add the salt and shredded cheese. Mix potato mixture with your hands until everything is evenly distributed. Form mixture into cylinders and place onto a sheet pan covered in parchment paper. Place tater tots in the freezer for about ten minutes until they have firmed up.
- Cover another large sheet pan with parchment paper and lay tater tots out evenly spaced. Brush the top of each tater tot with a small amount of olive oil. Place into the pre-heated oven and bake for about 30 minutes, flipping halfway though.
Recipe makes 40-50 tater tots, depending on how big you make them.