- Blueberry Cupcakes:
- 1 Box of vanilla cake mix or 1 recipe for vanilla cake mix from scratch. Make sure that you have all of the ingredients listed on the back of the cake box.
- 1 and 1/4 cup blueberries
- Blueberry Lemon Frosting:
- 8 Ounces of cream cheese
- 1 stick of butter, softened
- 1 Cup blueberries, smashed
- 1/2 Teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 Teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/3 Cup brown sugar
- *Extra lemon zest for garnish, if desired
- Pre-heat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Prepare cake batter according to directions, from scratch or using a box mix.
- Add 1 and 1/4 cup of blueberries to cake batter and beat on medium speed for about 30 seconds, until blueberries are combined, it is OK if you smash them a little bit.
- Grease a cupcake pan and fill each spot about 3/4 of the way full. You don’t want them getting too big when they bake.
- Bake in the 325 degree oven for about 20 minutes, or until browned on top and cooked through. when a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Take cupcake pan out of the oven and remove cupcakes to a cooling rack. If using one cupcake pan you will have to bake in two batches.
- Make the frosting: in a medium sized bowl combine cream cheese, butter, smashed blueberries, vanilla extract, lemon zest and juice, and brown sugar.
- Cream with an electric mixer for about 1 – 2 minutes until it all comes together. Set aside.
- Once cupcakes are thoroughly cooled, cut each one in half and fill with about 1 – 2 tablespoons of frosting.
- Garnish the top with a dollop of frosting and lemon zest, if desired.