These Crispy Tofu Steaks are flavorful and have a nice crunchy almost crust! Perfect for a vegan holiday main dish!
- 3 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 cup small diced celery
- 1 cup small diced carrot
- 1/2 large yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (14 oz) package extra firm tofu, pressed
- 1 tablespoon tamari
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 flax egg, or 1 regular egg (flax egg=1 tablespoon ground flax mixed with two tablespoons water, let sit for a few minutes)
- 1/4 cup almond meal
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce (vegan)
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup crushed, toasted almonds
- Heat a large pan over medium heat and add 1 teaspoon olive oil, carrots, celery and onion. Add a pinch of salt and pepper, stir and then cover. Cook until vegetables have softened and browned, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes. Add in the garlic and cook for another minute.
- Remove the vegetables from the pan. Crumble the tofu with your hands and add that into the pan, along with the tamari, onion powder and garlic powder. Cook until tofu is browned, 7 minutes.
- Add the vegetables and tofu into a food processor. Give it a few pulses, just until the ingredients are broken up a little bit and then add mixture to a large bowl.
- Add in the remaining ingredients, except for the crushed almonds, and mix until combined. Refrigerate mixture for at least one hour, but overnight is great too. Form the mixture into patties, I usually make 4 large patties but you could make smaller ones if you like.
- Spread out the crushed almonds on a plate and coat each side of the tofu steaks in the almonds. Heat a large pan over medium heat and coat the bottom with olive oil. Place tofu steaks in and cook for about 7-10 minutes on each side.