This Easy Homemade Falafel is baked in the oven and so flavorful! It’s perfect to enjoy in a warm pita or on a salad.
- 2 (15-ounce) cans garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tablespoons chopped white onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Cayenne pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons flour, gluten free if necessary
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- Olive oil
- Additional ingredients for serving, if desired: gluten-free pita bread, lettuce, tomato, onion, cucumber
- ½ cup tahini
- Juice of ½ large lemon
- 5–7 tablespoons water, depending on how thick you want sauce
- Salt, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375° F. Place the parsley, cilantro, garlic and onion in the food processor and blend until chopped. Next, place all the remaining ingredients, except for flour, baking powder and olive oil, into a food processor and blend until everything is broken down but not pureed. Next, sprinkle in the flour and baking powder and blend again until mixture forms a ball. You may have to stop and scrape the sides down a few times.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Use your hands to form the mixture into balls. You can make them as big or as small as you would like. I used about 1 tablespoon of mixture for each one. Place falafels on baking sheet and brush the top of each with olive oil. Bake until golden brown, 25-30 minutes, flipping once.
- Make the sauce while the falafel is baking. Add all ingredients to a small bowl and whisk until combined and a creamy sauce is formed.
- If desired, serve falafels in a pita with vegetables and tahini sauce.