Oh man, I meant to have this post up earlier this week, but I just happened to get sick again. I used to only get a bad cold about once a year and now this is the second cold I’ve had in 4 months and I’m not happy about it! I’ve now decided to stay locked up in my house until this baby is born to ensure that I don’t have contact with anyone who could possibly get me sick 🙂
But, today we are really here to talk about this awesome Mediterranean Black Rice Salad with, quite possibly, the best vinaigrette I’ve ever made: Roasted Garlic Vinaigrette! Have you guys ever cooked with black rice before? It’s a great way to shake up your menu but still keep it healthy into the New Year.
For this post, I used Village Harvest Black Rice, which is naturally gluten free and also really heart healthy. If you’ve never cooked with black rice before, it has a delicious earthy flavor and contains tons of iron, vitamins and fiber. It is also much prettier to look at than white rice! Once cooked, it takes on a dark purplish color that is really gorgeous and goes so well in a healthy salad or rice bowl. I decided to go with Mediterranean flavors in this rice salad because I feel like Mediterranean is always such a great idea when you are looking for healthy food with lots of flavor.
Village Harvest is a great company that is just as dedicated in helping you find new healthy dishes in the kitchen as they are to helping their farmers and making sure they have everything they need. They also donate 1 % of their profits to help global programs, such as ones that help build schools and provide clothing for children in need. Check out their store locator here to find Village Harvest products near you!Print
- 1 cup Village Harvest Black Rice
- 1 heaping cup cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 2 cups chopped spinach leaves
- Heaping 1/2 cup kalamata olives, cut in half
- 1 (6.5 ounce) jar marinated artichoke hearts, roughly chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
Roasted Garlic Vinaigrette:
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 10–15 cloves roasted garlic*, depending on how garlicky you want it
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon pure maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- Cook the Village Harvest Black Rice according to package directions (simmer with a pinch of salt and 1 1/3 cup water until rice is tender). Once rice is finished cooking, add it to a large bowl and let cool for about 10 minutes.
- Next, add in all the vegetables, beans and pine nuts and stir to make sure everything is combined. Make the vinaigrette by adding all ingredients to a blender and blending for 30 seconds – 1 minute, until there are no chunks of garlic left.
- You can either pour vinigrette over entire bowl of salad or just pour it over each portion as you eat it. If taking it for lunches or planning to eat some as leftovers, it is best to only dress the amount you are eating.
*Rather than spending the time to roast the garlic yourself, you can usually find roasted garlic cloves on olive bars at your local grocery store.
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.