- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3/4 cup chopped yellow onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (24 ounce) jar marinara sauce
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 4 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 3 teaspoons tamari
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 3 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 1/4 teaspoons mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 (15 ounce) cans white beans, drained and rinsed
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add the olive oil and onions. Saute onions until softened, about 5 minutes. Next add the garlic and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add all the remaining baked bean ingredients, except for the beans, and stir until everything is combined. Cook sauce for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the beans to the sauce, stir, and cook for another 5-10 minutes, until beans are heated through.
- Baked beans can be served warm or cold.