A delicious, flavorful and healthy meal prep salad!
- 3/4 cup brown lentils
- 4 cups cubed sweet potato, peeled or unpeeled (about 2 medium sweet potatoes)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 heaping cups chopped curly kale
- 1 large red pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- Black pepper
- Optional: dried cranberries (1/4 cup), roasted pumpkin seeds (1/4 cup)
Curry Tahini Dressing:
- 1/3 cup tahini
- 7 tablespoons water
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder, feel free to use more if you like!
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F. On a large sheet pan, toss the cubed sweet potato with the olive oil and a pinch of salt and black pepper. Bake sweet potatoes until tender, about 35 minutes, flipping once.
- Add the lentils to a medium sauce pan and cover with 1 1/2 cups water and a pinch of salt and bay leaf (optional). Cover lentils, bring to a simmer and simmer until water has cooked out and lentils are tender, about 20 minutes. If lentils are cooked through and there is excess water you can just drain the lentils using a small collander.
- Add all dressing ingredients to a small bowl and whisk until combined.
- Add the kale to a large bowl and add a pinch of salt and squeeze of lemon. Use your hands to massage the kale for about 30 seconds to make it a little softer. This step is optional, but I find it make for a more enjoyable kale salad 🙂
- Assemble salads: I like to use a large mason jar, but you can also use any other type of container you have. In the bottom of each container add 2 tablespoons dressing, 1/2 cup lentils, 1/2 cup sweet potato, 1/4 of the diced red pepper, 1 tablespoon red onion, 1 cup of kale. If desired, add 1 tablespoon dried cranberries on top of the kale. Tighten the lid and repeat until finished.
- Salads stay good in the refrigerator for 4 days. If using pumpkin seeds, add to the salad right before eating. You can eat salads straight from the container or pour them into a new bowl to make mixing them a little easier.
If for some reason you end up with more of any of the ingredients, feel free to use extra! My measurements are just suggestions.
The Sweet potatoes shrink a little when roasting, so once roasted the 4 cups should equal about 2 cups.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 35 mins
- Category: Lunch, Dinner, Salad, Gluten Free, Vegan