This post is sponsored by Organic Girl. Thank you so much for supporting the brands that support me!
I’m really excited about this post today for a few reason; I get another excuse to eat my Vegan Jalapeno Ranch, I could eat taco salads every single day, especially when they have sweet potato in them, and these pepper greens from Organic Girl are the perfect taco salad greens!
They are a combination of baby mustard greens, arugula, spinach and a few other greens so they have a really nice bit that goes perfectly in a taco salad! And, now that the weather is cooling down a bite I don’t feel so guilty about turning the oven on to roast my sweet potatoes. Because in all honesty, I eat roasted sweet potatoes all summer long. For some reason I think of sweet potatoes as more of a fall ingredient, but that definitely doesn’t stop me. Just like I will most likely be eating this pesto all winter long.
I’ve eaten a lot of taco salads in my day and there are a few essentials you need to make a great one. Beans are always a must and although I’ve been eating a lot of pinto beans lately, black beans are always my favorite. I also like to add some bright colors, like tomato, red onion and jalapenos because food tastes better when it’s colorful!
A creamy avocado is pretty much a rule when making taco salad and I always try to make time to roast some sweet potatoes to throw in because it is so much better with them. And it wouldn’t be a taco salad without some crunchy chips sprinkled on top. But, one of the most important aspects of a great taco salad is the lettuce and these pepper greens really do the trick! They also pair really well with my creamy jalapeno ranch dressing 🙂
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced into bite size pieces (about 4 cups)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 (4 ounce) container Organic Girl Pepper Greens
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1/3 heaping cup diced red onion
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 1 jalapeno, sliced
- Cilantro, if desired
- Corn chips
- Vegan jalapeno ranch dressing, if desired (link to recipe above)
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Place diced sweet potato on a large cookie sheet and toss with olive oil and spices. Roast sweet potatoes until fork tender, about 30 minutes.
- Add lettuce, sweet potato, black beans, avocado, red onion, tomato, and jalapeno to a large bowl and mix. Top salad with desired amount of cilantro, corn chips and dressing.
You can also assemble taco salad bowls separately rather than mixing everything into a large bowl.