- 2 cups black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup brown rice, dry
- 4 cups peeled and diced sweet potato, about 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 1/2 teaspoon olive oil, plus more for cooking the sliders
- 2 tablespoons bread crumbs, gluten free if necessary
- 2 teaspoons ketchup
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar, or coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Slider sized buns, gluten free if necessary
- Optional toppings: shredded cabbage, coleslaw, BBQ Sauce
- 2 large shallots
- Unsweetened almond milk (1-2 cups)
- 1/2 cup flour, gluten free if necessary
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Olive oil
- Cook the brown rice according to package directions. Pre-heat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Toss the diced sweet potato with the olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper. Roast sweet potatoes until fork tender, about 40 minutes.
- Add the black beans to the food processor and blend until mostly blended but still slightly chunky. You don’t want a puree. Place the black beans in a large bowl and repeat the process with the brown rice and then the sweet potatoes. Add the remaining ingredients to the bowl and mix until everything is combined, it is best to use your hands.
- Form the mixture into slider sized patties and place on a large sheet pan lined with parchment paper. For a firmer patty, you can refrigerate them for a few hours or overnight. Or you can cook them up immediately.
- Heat a large pan over medium heat and coat the bottom with olive oil. Cook the sliders for 3-5 minutes in each side, until heated through and browned.
- You can make the crispy shallots before or after you cook the sliders: Place the sliced shallots into a bowl and cover with the almond milk. Let sit for about 10 minutes. Mix the flour and paprika together on a plate. Shake off excess milk from shallots and place them in the flour mixture. Toss until they are all coated. Heat a large pan with 2-3 teaspoons of olive oil. Once hot, toss in the shallots and let them cook for about 3 minutes on each side, until brown and crispy. Remove from pan, place on a plate and sprinkle with salt. Re-peat process until they are all cooked, making sure not to overcrowd the pan.
- Enjoy sliders on a bun with shredded cabbage, BBQ Sauce and crispy shallots!