This delicious and filling shepherds pie is a wonderful vegan main dish!
- 2 large russet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened almond milk
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 cups diced carrots
- 1 1/2 cups diced celery
- 1/2 diced yellow onion
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can lentils, drained and rinsed (or about 1 1/2 cups lentils if you can’t find them canned)
- 1 cup BBQ sauce, your favorite kind
- Black pepper
- Fresh herbs for garnish, if desired
- Peel the potatoes and dice them. Place potatoes in a large pot and cover with cold water. Put the pot over medium heat. Bring to a boil and cook potatoes until fork tender, about 20 minutes.
- Drain potatoes and place them back into the pot. Add the butter, almond milk and season with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside until ready to use.
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees F. Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add the olive oil, diced onion, carrot and celery. Cook veggies until tender, about 10 minutes. Next, add the chickpeas, lentils and BBQ sauce and stir together.
- Pour the vegetable and chickpea/lentil mixture into a medium sized oven safe pan and top with the mashed potatoes. Make sure to spread the potatoes in an even layer that is covering the entire top.
- Bake shepherds pie until everything is heated through, about 20 minutes. Garnish with fresh herbs before serving, if desired.