This Cauliflower Parmesan is crispy on the outside, tender on the inside and full of flavor!
- 1 large head cauliflower, should be big enough to cut 4 good sized steaks out of
- 1/2 cup flour, I used AP flour
- 1/2 cup plain, unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon herbs de Provence or dried Italian herbs
- 56 grams panko breadcrumbs, about 1 cup
- 2 ounces shredded cheese, I used low fat mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees F and line a large baking sheet with a non-stick mat or parchment paper. Carefully cut cauliflower into four similar sized steaks. See above for tips on that. In a medium sized bowl, add the flour 1/4 teaspoon salt, garlic powder and onion powder and almond milk. Whisk until a thick batter is formed.
- Pour the Panko, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and garlic powder and dried herbs onto a large plate and mix until combined. Carefully place the cauliflower steak in the batter and use your hands to make sure that the entire steak is coated with batter. There is just enough batter for four steaks so you want it to be a thin coat.
- Place the batter coated cauliflower steak in the panko and coat. You can press it down and then sprinkle some on top. Shake off any excess and then place on the baking sheet. Repeat process until finished.
- Bake cauliflower until crispy on the outside and tender on the inside and starting to brown, 30-40 minutes. Remove from the oven and top each with 1/4 cup tomato sauce and a small sprinkle of cheese. Place back in the oven and bake another 5-7 minutes, until cheese is melted.