These Cinnamon Sugar Baked Oatmeal Cups are naturally sweetened with dates, making them a healthy breakfast, snack or dessert!
- 8–10 large dates, I recommend using pitted medjool dates
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seed
- 2⅓ cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 4 cups old fashioned oats, gluten free certified if necessary
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Place the dates in a medium sized bowl. If you don’t have dates that are already pitted, make sure to remove the pits. Fill a medium sized saucepan with water and bring to a boil. Once boiling, turn off and pour over your dates. Let sit for about 20 minutes.
- Make your flax egg: mix 2 tablespoons of ground flax meal with 4 tablespoons of water and let sit for 2-3 minutes.
- Strain the water from the dates but make sure to reserve some of the warm date water. Place dates in a food processor or blender and turn on. Slowly add in a tablespoon at a time of the water until all dates are completely blended and you have a consistency a little bit thicker than applesauce.
- Add the date paste to a large bowl (but reserve 1-2 tablespoons so you can top the oatmeal cups with a little spoonful, if desired). Next, add the almond milk, flax egg, vanilla extract and cinnamon. Whisk until completely combined.
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees F. Next, add in the oats, baking powder and salt and mix again until everything is combined. Let the mixture just sit in the bowl for 10-15 minutes, while oven is pre-heating. This gives the oats time to soak up as much of the moisture as possible which creates firmer oatmeal cups.
- Fill a muffin tin with liners and spray lightly with a neutral flavored oil, I use avocado oil (if desired). Use a 1/4 cup scoop to scoop the oatmeal mixture into the muffin tin. You want to fill them just about to the top. I like to put a small spoonful of the date paste on the top and swirl it around a little bit. Bake oatmeal cups for 25-30 minutes, or until they’re starting to brown and the tops are firm to the touch. Remove oatmeal cups and let cool in the muffin tin for 20-30 minutes before enjoying.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 35 mins
- Category: Breakfast, Vegan
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Cinnamon Sugar Baked Oatmeal Cups