- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 2 (15 oz) cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed (or 3 cups)
- 1/3 cup sliced kalamata olives
- 1/2 cup diced tomato, I used cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup diced cucumber
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 pieces of pita bread, cut in half
- Lettuce leaves, if desired
- In a large bowl, whisk together the olive, vinegar and mustard. Add in the chickpeas and use a fork or potato masher to mash them up.
- Next, add in all the remaining ingredients, mix until combined and season to taste with salt and pepper. Add a few lettuce leaves to each pita and fill with 1/2 cup of the chickpea salad mixture. Recipe makes 8 half pita sandwiches. A serving size can either be one half pita or two half pitas, depending on how hungry you are. If you don’t use the entire mixture for dinner it can easily be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.