- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (15 oz) jar tomato sauce
- 1 (14.5 oz) can petite diced tomatoes, juice included
- 3 cups uncooked pasta, I’ve used broken up lasagna noodles and penne
- 2 cups water
- 1 large handful baby spinach
- 1 cup part skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 cup low fat Shamrock Farms Cottage Cheese
- Add the cottage cheese to a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Set aside until needed.
- Heat a large skillet (I used 10 inch) over medium heat and add the olive oil and onion. Cook onion for 2 minutes and then add in the green pepper and garlic. Cook another 4-5 minutes and then add in the tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, pasta and water.
- Stir until everything is mixed evenly and then cover and let simmer for about 30 minutes, until noodles are cooked through. You will need to stir lasagna a few times to make sure that the pasta cooks evenly. This is especially important if using actual lasagna noodles because they have a tendency to stick together more.
- Once pasta is cooked through, remove the lid and stir in the spinach and 3/4 cup of the mozzarella cheese. Next, top with the remaining 1/4 cup cheese and then spoon the blended cottage cheese over the top. Cover again and let cook for another 5 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
It may look like the lasagna is too watery even after the noodles are cooked, but if you let it sit for just a few minutes before serving, the water will be absorbed by the noodles.