These sweet potato black bean cups have a nice Mexican flavor them!
- 4 cups old fashioned rolled oats, gluten free certified if necessary
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 flax egg (1 tablespoon ground flax mixed with 2 1/2 tablespoons water, let sit 2-3 minutes)
- 2 1/2 cups unsweetened, non-dairy milk
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup sweet potato puree*
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onion or green chiles (optional)
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a muffin tin or line it with parchment or silicone liners.
- In a large bowl, mix together the oats and the rest of the dry ingredients.
- Add the milk and flax egg and mix until combined.
- Next, mix in the sweet potato, black beans and green onion or green chiles.
- Use a 1/4 cup scoop to scoop the oat mixture into the muffin tin. Bake cups until cooked through and firm, about 20 – 23 minutes. Let sit in the muffin tin for about 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool.
*I make my sweet potato puree by peeling and dicing a medium sweet potato, boiling it until fork tender and then pureeing it in the food processor. I believe you can also buy canned sweet potato puree, or you could use pumpkin if you like.
This recipe makes 12-14, depending on how big you make them. I usually end up with 13.