An easy and delicious Mexican inspired fall dinner!
- 4–5 cups cubed butternut squash, about 1 whole medium butternut squash
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- scant 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 tostadas
- 1 (15 ounce) can refried beans, I like to use black refried beans
- 1 cup grated cheese, I used vegan cheese
- Fresh cilantro for garnish, if desired
Avocado Lime Sauce:
- 2 medium avocados, pitted and scooped out
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1 handful cilantro leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1 1/2 cups water
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees F. On a large baking sheet, toss together the cubed butternut squash, olive oil, spices, salt and pepper. Bake butternut squash until tender and starting to caramelize, about 40 minutes.
- Lay tostadas out on the baking sheet and spread with a scant 1/4 cup refried beans, heaping 1/4 cup roasted butternut squash and 1-2 tablespoons cheese. Bake tostadas until cheese is melted, 7-10 minutes. If using vegan cheese you may have to turn on the broiler for a minute.
- Make the sauce while tostadas are baking: add all ingredients to a blender, or food processor, and blend until creamy.
- Garnish tostadas with fresh cilantro and top with desired amount of avocado lime sauce.