- 2 cups diced parnsips, peeled first
- 2 cups diced rudabegas, peeled first
- 2 cups diced turnips
- 3 cups diced carrots
- 3 cups diced sweet potatoes, peeled first
- 4 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 bay leaves
- 8–10 cups vegetable stock, depending on how thick you want the soup to be
- Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. Divide the root vegetables evenly on two large baking sheets. Drizzle each with 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil and season each with 1/2 teaspon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Place both baking sheets in the oven and roast for about 30 minutes minutes flipping once rotating trays halfway through.
- Heat a large pot over medium heat and add in 1 teaspoon olive oil, yellow onion, garlic, thyme, rosemary, bay leaves, and 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Cook for about five minutes. Next, add the roasted root vegetables and stir. Then, add the vegetable stock. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and simmer for ten minutes.
- Turn off the heat and let soup cool. Then, using an immersion blender blend the soup to desired consistency. You can also blend the soup in batches in a blender or food processor. Add the soup back to the pot and heat when ready to serve.
Adapted from the Barefoot Contessa