- 1 (12 ounce) block extra firm tofu
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1(15 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 6–8 buns, gluten free if necessary
- Coleslaw for topping, if desired (about 1/4 cup for each sandwich)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 small shallot, diced (about ¼ cup)
- 2 small cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon tamari
- ¾ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- Heat a large pan over medium heat and add olive oil. Pat the tofu dry and cut block in half. Cut one half into small cubes and crumble the other half with you hands. Add tofu to the pan along with the spices. Cook tofu until golden brown, 7-10 minutes.
- Remove tofu from the pan and add 1 teaspoon olive oil, diced shallot and garlic. Cook until shallot is tender, about 3 minutes.
- Add the remaining BBQ sauce ingredients to the pan, stir until combined, and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the cooked tofu and the chickpeas back into the sauce, stir and cook until everything is heated through, 3-5 minutes.
- Spoon BBQ mixture onto bun and top with coleslaw, if desired.