These Vegan BLT Pitas are sweet, smoky and so fresh!
- 1 (14 oz) package extra firm tofu, pressed
- 1/2 cup tamari, or soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Pinch of salt
- 4 – 6 pieces pita bread
- Lettuce, tomato and vegan mayo,
- Press the tofu for at least 20 minutes and then slice into pieces that are just a little smaller than 1/4 inch thick. Place in a shallow dish or Tupperware container and set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl mix together the Tamari, water, maple syrup, smoked paprika, garlic powder, curry powder, onion powder, red pepper flakes and salt. Pour over the tofu slices and make sure that they are all covered with the marinade. Place in the refrigerator for at least 20 minutes, 1-2 hours is idea. If you want you can occasionally spoon the marinade over the tofu to make sure every part gets covered.
- Heat a large pan over medium heat and coat with olive oil, about 2 teaspoons. Place the tofu slices in and let cook until one side is browned, about 5 minutes. Flip tofu over and cook another 5 or so minutes. I like to spoon some extra marinade onto the tofu while it’s cooking.
- Let tofu cool for a few minutes, and then assemble your pitas. Spread with vegan mayo and then stuff with lettuce, tomato and a few tofu slices. Enjoy!