- 1 butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 1 inch chunks (9–10 cups)
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 3 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon herbs de Provence or other dried herbs
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 1/2 cups plain unsweetened almond milk
- 12 ounces dried pasta
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs, gluten free if necessary
- 2 tablespoons earth balance or butter
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped sage leaves
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Place cubed butternut squash and garlic cloves on large sheet pan and toss with olive oil, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Bake butternut squash until fork tender, about 50 minutes.
- Turn the oven down to 350 degrees. Cook pasta according to package directions. While pasta is cooking, add the roasted butternut squash, nutritional yeast, herbs de provence, nutmeg, 1/4 teaspoon salt, onion powder, paprika, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper and almond milk to a blender and blend until you have a creamy sauce.
- Add the cooked pasta and butternut squash sauce to a large bowl and mix until combined. Pour mixture into a large backing dish (about 9×11). Use a spoon to smooth out the top. Heat a small saucepan over medium heat and add the butter. Once butter is melted, add the bread crumbs and sage and stir until combined. Evenly top the mac n cheese with the bread crumbs and bake until heated through and topping is crispy, 25-30 minutes.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 90 mins
- Category: Entree, Gluten Free, Vegan