These Vegan Carnitas with Mushrooms are flavorful and crispy! They’re perfect for making delicious vegan tacos with.
- 9.5 ounces king trumpet mushrooms
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 white onion, thinly sliced
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon tamari, or soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
- Juice of 1 limes
- 3/4 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp granulated garlic
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp salt, or more to taste
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees F. Wipe your mushrooms with a damp towel to remove any dirt. Cut about 1/2 inch off the bottoms of the mushrooms and discard. Cut the tops off the mushroom and thinly slice them. Use two forks to shred the mushrooms stems into thin pieces. I like to start with the forks and them use my fingers to pull them apart.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add olive oil, shredded mushrooms, onion, garlic and tamari. Cook until mushrooms and onions have softened, about 5 minutes.
- Next, add the orange juice, lime juice and all the spices. Mix until everything is combined and cook until sauce has thickened, 5-7 minutes.
- Once sauce has thickened and coats all of the mushrooms, place the mushrooms on a large sheet pan and spread out so they’re all in one layer. Bake mushrooms until nice and crispy, 15-10 minutes, flipping once.
- Use carnitas in tacos, burritos, nachos and more! To assemble the tacos you see in this post, warm corn tortillas on the stovetop, spread with guacamole, add carnitas and top with onion, cilantro, jalapeño and cabbage.
***This recipe makes about 4 tacos, BUT it can easily be doubled or tripled to make more!
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 35 mins
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Oven, Stovetop
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: Vegan Carnitas with Mushrooms