These Vegan Stuffed Shells are made with a homemade creamy tofu ricotta cheese and they taste exactly like regular stuffed shells!
- 1 box jumbo shells (I cooked a 12 oz box but didn’t end up using all of the shells)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 medium sized zucchini, small diced
- 1 large red bell pepper, small diced
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 packed cup chopped spinach leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (24 oz) jar marinara sauce
- Optional toppings: fresh herbs, vegan parmesan cheese (recipe below)
Tofu Ricotta Cheese
- 28 ounces extra firm tofu
- 6 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 teaspoons yellow miso paste
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, add jumbo shells and cook according to package directions. I like to add a splash of olive oil to the water to prevent them from sticking to each other. When pasta is finished cooking, drain and set aside.
- Heat a large pan over medium heat and add olive oil, zucchini, onion, bell pepper, garlic, salt and pepper. Cook vegetables until softened, about 10 minutes, and then add the spinach and cook until just wilted.
- Add all vegan ricotta ingredients to a food processor and blend until smooth, 1-2 minutes. If it seems really thick you can always add in a tablespoon or so of almond milk or water. Add the ricotta cheese to a large bowl and mix in the cooked vegetables.
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees F. Pour about 3/4 of the tomato sauce into the bottom of a 9×13 baking dish and spread out. Use a one tablespoon scoop to scoop ricotta cheese into each shell noodle and then place into the baking dish. Spoon a few teaspoons of marinara sauce over each stuffed shell and bake in the oven until sauce is bubbly, about 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and top with vegan parmesan and fresh herbs.
To make vegan parmesan cheese: In a food processor, add 1/3 cup raw cashews, 1/3 cup nutritional yeast, and a pinch of salt. Blend until mixture resembles parmesan cheese crumbs.