This thick and creamy Vegetarian Tortilla Soup is so flavorful and delicious! Perfect for a cozy meal on a cold day.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 1 large green bell pepper, diced
- 1 large red bell pepper, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (14.5) oz can diced tomatoes, I like to use fire roasted
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup black beans
- 1 cup corn kernels
Crispy Tortilla Strips
- 10 corn tortillas
- Olive oil or cooking spray
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees F. Cut corn tortillas into thin slices and then cut in thirds. Toss with olive oil and a pinch of salt until all tortillas are coated. Bake tortilla strips until crispy, about 15 minutes. Let cool for a few minutes and they will crisp up even more.
- Heat a large pot over medium heat and add onion, peppers and a pinch of salt. Cook for 5 minutes and then add garlic. Finish cooking until vegetables have softened and are beginning to caramelize. Next, add in the entire can of tomatoes and all the spices, cook for a minute and then add the vegetable broth. Stir and bring to a simmer.
- Add two cups of the tortilla strips cook for about a minute and then transfer soup to the blender. Be really careful with the hot soup in the blender, or you can let it cool a few minutes first. You could also use an immersion blender but a high powered blender would be best.
- Pour soup back into the pot, add the black beans and corn and heat until desired temperature. Pour soup into bowl and top with desired toppings.