- 3 cups gluten free flour with xantham gum, I highly recommend using Bob Red Mill’s 1:1 Gluten Free Baking Flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder, I like to use aluminum free
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup softened butter
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract, you can use imitation clear vanilla extract if you are want the cake being super white
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 1 cup non-fat Greek yogurt
- 6 egg whites
- 2–3 cups preferred cake frosting
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease two 8 inch cake pans and set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl add the flour, salt and baking powder and mix until combined.
- In a large bowl beat together the butter and sugar for 4-5 minutes with an electric mixer, this way it will become light and fluffy. Next, add the vanilla extract and milk and mix again with your electric mixer. It will look a little curdled but that is ok!
- Next, add in half of the flour mixture and mix until combined, followed by half of the yogurt and mix again. Repeat with the remaining flour mixture and yogurt.
- Add the egg whites to a large bowl and beat until stiff peaks have formed, 3-4 minutes. Gently fold the egg whites into the cake batter until completely combined.
- Pour equal amounts of cake batter into each cake pan and bake until sides are starting to brown and an inserted toothpick comes out clean, 30-35 minutes. Let cakes cool in the cake pans for about 5-10 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack and cool the rest of the way.
- Once cakes are completely cooled you can frost them!