- 1 whole butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into bite size chunks
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1/2 red onion, cut into thin slices
- 2 1/2 cups broccoli florets
- 3/4 pound pasta
- 2 teaspoons chopped sage
- Olive oil
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees F. On a large sheetpan, add the cubed butternut squash and garlic cloves. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast butternut squash for 30-40 minutes, until tender and browned, flipping occasionally. Let cool.
- Add roasted butternut squash, vegetable broth, onion powder, nutmeg, yeast, thyme, salt, pepper, and smoked paprika to a blender and blend until a smooth sauce forms.
- Heat a large pan over medium heat and coat the bottom with olive oil. Throw in red onion slices, season with salt and pepper and cook for about ten minutes, until onions are softened and beginning to brown.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add pasta. Cook pasta according to package directions. When pasta is 2 minutes from being finished throw in the broccoli florets. Drain pasta and broccoli and add to a large bowl. Add the onions, the butternut squash sauce and chopped sage and mix until combined. Warm the mac n cheese on low heat, if needed. Season with salt.