- 2 cups Enjoy Life Foods Gluten Free All Purpose Flour Mix
- 1 cup cocoa powder, sifted
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1½ teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup vegan butter, softened
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ⅔ cup packed light brown brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce (or 2 eggs if not making vegan)
- 2½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk, your favorite kind
- 1 cup plain non-dairy yogurt, I used coconut yogurt
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened shredded coconut
Chocolate Whipped Cream:
- 2 (15 oz) cans coconut cream, or coconut milk that has been refrigerator overnight
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder, sifted
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F. In a medium sized bowl mix together the flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking soda and baking powder.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter, granulated sugar and brown sugar. Next add the apple sauce, vanilla extract, milk and yogurt, beating with an electric mixer between each addition.
- Carefully mix in the flour mixture, 1/2 at a time and then stir in the shredded coconut.
- Fill a muffin tin with liners and then us a large ice cream scoop, or a 1/4 measuring cup, to scoop batter into liners. Fill each about 3/4 of the way full. Bake cupcakes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Let cupcakes cool on a wire rack.
- Make whipped cream while cupcakes are cooling. Open each can of coconut cream and scoop the solid stuff, leaving all the liquid in the can. Place it in a large bowl and add in the cocoa powder and powdered sugar. Beat with an electric mixer until combined and creamy, 30 seconds – 1 minute.
- Once cupcakes are completely cooled spread a spoonful of whipped cream on top of each one and sprinkle with shredded coconut, if desired. Once frosted, it’s best to store cupcakes in the refrigerator, or in a cool place. They will keep for up to 3 days but best when eaten soon after making.