A decadent chocolate cupcake that’s both gluten free and vegan!
This post is sponsored by Enjoy Life Foods. Thank you for supporting the brands that support me!
I’m so excited to share these chocolate coconut cupcakes with you today because I finally made you a delicious treat that is both gluten free AND vegan! I don’t have the best track record with vegan baking, way too many mushy things to count, but I was determined to make these vegan and it was actually much easier than I thought it would be.
It’s almost May (how did that happen??), which is Celiac Disease Awareness Month. While I don’t personally have Celiac disease, I feel much better when eating gluten free and it’s helped relieve a lot of the health issues I used to have.
Today I’m partnering with Enjoy Life Foods to bring some awareness to celiac disease and to introduce you to their gluten free all purpose flour. Celiac disease affects about 1% of the population in the US (about 3 million people) and so many other people have gluten sensitivities. As of now, there is no known cure except to avoid gluten and thankfully more and more brands are coming out with delicious gluten free products!
I really love this gluten free all purpose flour blend because it’s free of all gums, contains nothing artificial and is GMO free. It has 5 grams of protein per serving and includes probiotics! You’re easily able to replace regular AP flour with the same amount of this GF AP flour and it makes these Chocolate Coconut Cupcakes pretty delicious!
Not only does Enjoy Life Foods cater to people who can’t eat gluten, but all of they’re products are also free from the top 8 food allergens in the US (wheat, diary, peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, soy, fish and shellfish). This allows their customers to Eat Freely when they purchase their products, which I just love!
Dealing with food allergies can cause a lot of worry and frustration. You’re always reading labels and asking for ingredient lists. Going out to eat is more stressful than enjoyable and walking down the grocery aisles is never fun when you can’t eat half the food on the shelves.
I think it’s wonderful that there are brands out there like Enjoy Life Foods who make delicious products that everyone can enjoy! I hope you all enjoy these cupcakes 🙂Print
- 2 cups Enjoy Life Foods Gluten Free All Purpose Flour Mix
- 1 cup cocoa powder, sifted
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1½ teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup vegan butter, softened
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ⅔ cup packed light brown brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce (or 2 eggs if not making vegan)
- 2½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk, your favorite kind
- 1 cup plain non-dairy yogurt, I used coconut yogurt
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened shredded coconut
Chocolate Whipped Cream:
- 2 (15 oz) cans coconut cream, or coconut milk that has been refrigerator overnight
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder, sifted
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F. In a medium sized bowl mix together the flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking soda and baking powder.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter, granulated sugar and brown sugar. Next add the apple sauce, vanilla extract, milk and yogurt, beating with an electric mixer between each addition.
- Carefully mix in the flour mixture, 1/2 at a time and then stir in the shredded coconut.
- Fill a muffin tin with liners and then us a large ice cream scoop, or a 1/4 measuring cup, to scoop batter into liners. Fill each about 3/4 of the way full. Bake cupcakes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Let cupcakes cool on a wire rack.
- Make whipped cream while cupcakes are cooling. Open each can of coconut cream and scoop the solid stuff, leaving all the liquid in the can. Place it in a large bowl and add in the cocoa powder and powdered sugar. Beat with an electric mixer until combined and creamy, 30 seconds – 1 minute.
- Once cupcakes are completely cooled spread a spoonful of whipped cream on top of each one and sprinkle with shredded coconut, if desired. Once frosted, it’s best to store cupcakes in the refrigerator, or in a cool place. They will keep for up to 3 days but best when eaten soon after making.