- 6 sheets of lasagna noodles, I used brown rice lasagna
- 1 cup ricotta cheese, almond ricotta recipe below
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese, non-dairy or dairy
- 1 1/2 – 2 cups tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup small diced zucchini
- 1/2 cup small dice red pepper
- 1/2 cup small diced green pepper
- 2 tablespoons small diced red onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- red pepper flakes, to taste
- olive oil
- basil leaves for garnish, if desired
Almond Ricotta Recipe:
- 1 cup slivered almonds, soaked in water overnight or at least 6 hours
- 1/2 cup water
- Recipe: place the almonds in a food processor with the water and blend for 1-2 minutes, until a creamy texture is reached.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Cook lasagna noodles in boiling water until aldente. Drain and lay out on a sheet pan covered in parchment paper.
- Heat a large pan over medium heat and coat the bottom with a small amount of olive oil. Add all of the diced vegetables and season with salt and pepper. Let cook for a few minutes. Then add the garlic and the oregano, thyme, and red pepper flakes. Cook for a few more minutes until vegetables are softened.
- Assemble the roll-ups: place about 1 cup of tomato sauce into the bottom of an 8 inch baking dish. Spread about two and a half tablespoons of ricotta cheese on each noodle and top with a spoonful of vegetables. Sprinkle with 1-2 tablespoons of shredded cheese and roll lasagna noodles. Place them roll side down in the baking dish. Once you have rolled all of them and placed them in the baking dish, cover with about 1 cup of tomato sauce and sprinkle with the rest of the shredded cheese.
- Bake roll-ups for 20-25 minutes, until cheese is melted and roll-ups are heated through. Garnish with thinly sliced basil leaves, if desired.