- 5 ears of corn, shucked
- 12 ounces penne pasta, I used gluten free corn pasta
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, I used Earth Balance
- 1 medium shallot, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon, plus finely grated zest for garnish
- salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil, plus more for garnish if desired
- 1 small container cherry tomatoes, cut in half, I used an 11 ounce container
- On a cutting board, cut the kernals off the cobs and then scrape the pulp off the cobs as well. Transfer the kernals to a blender and blend for about 30 seconds, until smooth. Place a strainer over a large bowl and pour the corn puree into the strainer. Use a spoon to help press on the solids. Strain until most of the liquid is in the bowl and you are left with thick corn pulp in the strainer.
- Bring to boil a large pot of water and cook pasta according to package directions. While pasta is cooking, heat a large pan over medium heat. Add the butter, shallots, garlic, a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook for 3-4 minutes and then add in the corn pulp and lemon juice. Slowly add in some of your pasta water to thin out the sauce a little bit. I used about 1 1/4 cups of pasta water, but you can use as much or as little as you like. Continue cooking, stirring often, until pasta is finished cooking. Drain pasta and add it to the corn mixture. Mix until everything is combined and then add the basil and cherry tomatoes. Garnish each bowl with lemon zest and fresh basil, if desired.