These Crispy Tofu Sandwiches are full of flavor and great for lunch or dinner!
- 1 (14 oz) package extra firm tofu, pressed well
- Olive oil
- 1 tablespoon tamari or soy sauce
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup plain, plant based milk
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 1/2 cups Panko bread crumbs
- Hamburger buns or bread
- Optional toppings: pickles, spicy ketchup, mustard, coleslaw, mayo
- Slice the tofu into thin slices. I was able to get 10 slices and used two slices of tofu on each sandwich. You can slice it anyway you like. Heat a large pan over medium heat and add about 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil. Add tofu and cook until each side is starting to brown, about 5 minutes. Add tamari and let cook for 30 seconds, flip and cook for about 30 more seconds. Remove tofu and let cool for a few minutes.
- To a medium sized bowl, add the flour, milk, onion powder and garlic powder. Mix until a batter is formed. Pour the panko onto a large plate or shallow dish and season with a little bit of salt and pepper.
- Use your hands to coat each piece of tofu with the batter. You only want a thin coat. Next, place the tofu in the panko and make sure it’s completely covered. Repeat until all the tofu is coated with batter and panko mixture.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add 3-4 teaspoons olive oil. Add tofu and let cook until each side is golden brown and crispy, about 8 minutes on each side.
- OR you can pre-heat oven to 400 degrees F. Place tofu on a baking sheet and bake until golden brown and crispy, flipping once, 15-20 minutes.
- Assemble your sandwiches and enjoy!