These Crispy Tofu Sandwiches are full of flavor and crunch! They’re perfect for lunch or dinner and can even satisfy the meat eaters in your family!
Anyone else really miss going out to eat? This whole experience is making me realize just how much we went out to eat and it’s probably for the better that we’re taking a little break haha. One of our favorite places to go eat was a little local taproom that has delicious beer and well made pub food. My husband gets this crispy chicken sandwich and it always looks so good to me. So, I decided to create a vegetarian version and these Crispy Tofu Sandwiches are so good!
I always love the challenge of turning my husband’s favorite meat recipes into delicious vegetarian meals! He doesn’t always agree with me about them, but I can assure you that he absolutely loved these Crispy Tofu Sandwiches 🙂
How To Make The Crispiest Tofu Sandwich Recipe
- I put a lot of thought into this recipe for you! I really wanted the crispy tofu to have tons of flavor so I started out by browning the tofu in a skillet with some tamari. I didn’t cook it for too long, but just enough to get the salty flavor into the tofu before crusting it.
- Instead of doing a traditional breading using flour, eggs and breadcrumbs I decided to go with a little thicker of a breading to make the tofu really crunchy. I used the same method of breading that I used in this Vegan Orange Cauliflower recipe and it worked great!! It allows this recipe to be vegan, while still giving a great crunch.
- The last thing I did to make sure these sandwiches were extra crispy was to cook them on the stovetop with oil. You can certainly bake them and they would be great, but I really wanted to recreate that fried crispy chicken sandwich texture and I found that pan frying them in a little bit of olive oil really did the trick!
How To Enjoy Your Crispy Tofu Sandwiches
You can really enjoy them however you like! But, I was trying to copy my husband’s favorite crispy chicken sandwich so I chose the following toppings and they were delicious:
- Coleslaw – I just threw together an easy slaw using vegan mayo, apple cider vinegar, dijon mustard, maple syrup, salt and celery seed. Very similar to this recipe of mine.
- Spicy Fry Sauce – For this I just mixed together some vegan mayo, ketchup and a few squires of sriracha. So easy to make and I love it because it’s creamy and spicy!
- Pickles – The original chicken sandwich had some thinly sliced homemade pickles but I just used regular hamburger pickles and they worked perfectly!
Oven Baked Crispy Tofu Sandwiches
This method is my new favorite for making easy, crispy tofu! And if you bake it in the oven, it requires no oil at all! I have a Crispy Popcorn Tofu recipe coming up next week that uses the same method and I think you’ll love it!