These crispy baked green bean fries are made with whipped aquafaba instead of eggs and are so good!
- 1 cup panko, gluten free or regular
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas (you will need the liquid and 1 cup of the chickpeas)
- 20 large green beans
- Smoked paprika
- Garlic powder
- Cooking spray, optional
Lemon Chickpea Dipping Sauce:
- 1 cup chickpeas
- Juice of 1 large lemon
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 small clove garlic, optional
- Pinch salt
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with a non-stick mat or parchment paper.
- Wash green beans and cut the stems off.
- Place panko in a large shallow bowl or on a plate. Season with garlic powder, smoked paprika and salt (about 1/4 teaspoon each) and mix until combined.
- Drain the chickpeas and pour the chickpea liquid (aquafaba) into a large bowl. Beat with an electric mixer on high until white and fluffy, 3-5 minutes. It’s ok if part of it is still liquidy at the bottom, you just need most of it to be white and fluffy.
- Dip a green bean into the aquafaba, transfer it to the panko and gently coat it. Place green bean on the baking sheet and repeat until finished. I find it best to handle the green beans by the ends so you don’t mess up the panko coating.
- If desired, spray the tops of the green beans with cooking spray. Bake green beans until crispy and starting to brown, about 10 minutes. Let green beans cook for about 5 minutes before eating.
- Make the dip while green beans are baking. Add all dip ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth. I like to garnish my dip with a little smoked paprika and fresh herbs.
Recipe makes 20 green bean fries, feel free to double if you like!
This recipe has a total of 6 Smart Points, that could differ depending on which type of panko you use.