- 4 cups diced carrots
- 1 teaspoon olive oil, plus more for cooking with
- 1 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 1/2 cup cooked chickpeas
- 2 tablespoons flour, gluten free if necessary
- 1/8–1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, depending on your heat level
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2/3 cup cilantro leaves
Citrus Tahini Dressing:
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3–6 tablespoons water, depending on how thick you would like the dressing
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups spring mix, or desired lettuce
- 1/4 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup sliced cucumber
- 1 cup sliced cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Place diced carrots on a large sheet pan and drizzle with olive oil and season with 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Toss to coat and roast for about 25 minutes, until carrots are fork tender. Let cool for a few minutes.
- Add the rest of the falafel ingredients plus the carrots to a food processor and process for 30 seconds – 1 minute, until everything is mixed together. You can leave it however chunky you would like. Scoop mixture into a bowl and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Remove mixture from the refrigerator and, using your hands, form into small balls or disks, about 1 tablespoon per ball. Place falafels on a sheet pan lined with wax or parchment paper and refrigerate for another 30 minutes.
- Heat a large pan to medium heat and add 1 teaspoon olive oil. Place falafels into the pan and cook for about 3-5 minutes on each side, until browned and heated through.
- Assemble the salad either in a large bowl or smaller serving bowls by layering lettuce, onion, cucumber, tomatoes, feta, falafels, and dressing with desired amount of dressing.