- 3 – 15 ounce cans of beans, rinsed and drained, I used: pinto beans, black beans & kidney beans
- 2 large roma tomatoes, diced – or 1 –15 ounce can of crushed tomatoes
- 3 cups of vegetable broth
- 1 – 6 ounce can of tomato paste
- 1 cup corn kernels
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 cup diced carrots
- 1/2 cup diced zucchini
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced*
- 1/2 green bell pepper, diced*
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper, diced*
- 1 large hatch green chili, diced (optional)
- diced jalapeno, to taste
- 2 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 small pinch brown sugar or coconut sugar
- red pepper flakes, to taste
- olive oil
- Optional toppings: cilantro, green onion, red onion, avocado, tortilla chips, sour cream, Greek yogurt, vegan sour cream, cheddar cheese
- Heat a large pot over medium heat and coat the bottom with olive oil. Add in the onion, garlic, diced peppers, carrots, and a pinch of salt. Stir for 5 minutes, until vegetables are beginning to soften. Next, add in beans, corn, tomato and all of the seasonings. Stir together and cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato paste and then add the vegetable broth. Mix until everything is combined. Reduce chili to a simmer and simmer for at least 20 minutes, but can be left on the stove for a couple of hours to help develop the flavors.
- Spoon chili into serving bowls and add toppings of your choice!
*You don’t have to use all 3 colors of bell pepper, just use the equivalent of 1 1/2 large bell peppers.