- 1 cup cooked brown rice that has been cooked in vegetable stock
- 3 1/2 cups diced yellow sweet potatoes
- 1 – 15 oz can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- A few dashes of Tabasco sauce
- olive oil
- 1 cup bread crumbs, gluten free if necessary
- 6 hamburger buns
- Optional toppings: lettuce, tomato, onion, mayo, mustard, ketchup
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees F. Place the diced sweet potatos onto a large sheet pan and drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Toss to coat. Place sweet potatoes in the oven and roast for about 25 minutes, until potatoes are tender. Let cool for ten minutes.
- In a food processor, add the brown rice, chickpeas, roasted yellow sweet potatoes, and all of the spices. Turn the food processor on and process until all ingredients are combined, but not for too long or else the mixture will get a little gummy due to the yellow sweet potatoes. You want the mixture to be a little chunky.
- Place the bread crumbs on a large plate. Form the mixture into patties and then place patties in the bread crumb mixture and press down in order to make the bread drumbs stick to the patty. Make sure all sides of the patties are coated.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and coat the bottom with olive oil. Make sure the olive oil is hot before placing the patties in. Cook for about 3 minutes on each side until patties are browned.
- Place patties in buns and top with desired toppings.